President Trump has decided to end the Obama-era “Dreamers” program, but not for another six months — giving Congress the chance to act, a report says.
Sources told Politico that the White House plans to do away with Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, also known as DACA, despite facing backlash from both sides of the aisle.
The program will be pulled approximately a half-year from now, allowing for lawmakers to figure out what to do with the estimated 800,000 undocumented immigrants who are benefiting from it.
Under DACA, people who arrived in the country illegally as children — referred to as “Dreamers” — are protected from deportation and ultimately granted work permits.
Many on the right believe the program is unconstitutional, on account of it being carried out unilaterally by former President Barack Obama, rather than through Congress.
Trump had previously pledged to scrap DACA, along with all of Obama’s executive orders on immigration. The former president implemented the program in 2012.
According to Politico, White House officials gathered Sunday to discuss the issue with the president. They later contacted House Speaker Paul Ryan and informed him of Trump’s decision.READ MORE